Chad is our resident American A&R guru/god, bringing us all the hottest, freshest sounds for us to hear/sign at Basick. When he’s not out scouting for bands, he’s the vocalist in A Dark Orbit, also signed to Basick, who have a release coming out in 2013. Here are his top picks for 2012 and a little bit about his year.
2. Arctic Sleep - “Arbors” - These guys are by far my favorite precious gem that no one seems to know about. It is literally a crime not to listen to these guys. Seriously some of the most epic, heavy, and ambient stuff I have ever heard. Beautiful and crushing stuff. It sounds like Neurosis mixed with HUM.
3. The Contortionist - “Intrinsic” - This album is so beautifully written through and through. The constant newly added clean vocals really give it a sweeping and fluid soundscape that most bands cannot achieve. Very awesome!
4. 7 Horns 7 Eyes - “Throes of Absolution” - I can never get enough of this album. I constantly listen to it. It has the most perfect mix of all types of metal and it has such a HUGE sound. This album has some of the most vicious sounding vocals mixed with some of the most beautiful leads. This is a must!
5. Meshuggah - “Koloss” - OK…it’s Meshuggah! The main thing I really loved about this was that they actually slowed their sound a bit that it almost gave off a sludge feel to it in parts. They never disappoint and I can believe they can keep coming up with new f&$#ed riffs! Kudos once again to the GODS of groove!
6. Slice The Cake - “The Man With No Face” - This release is a great DIY project that spans a few countries. It is seriously one of the best and heaviest albums of the year. The progressive /death metal that has been created for this record really cannot be matched. It has tons of groove that I don’t even think was meant to be achieved. Don’t let the name fool you, and go pick this up!
7. A Life Once Lost - “Ecstatic Trance” - Well after a long escape for ALOL, they are finally back with their calculated sound of groove and aggression. I still cannot stop listening to this release. They still managed to get their old sound back with the addition of some new perfections. Welcome back!
8. Deftones - “Koi No Yokan” - What can I say….it’s the DEFTONES! They have never disappointed and this release does not slip. They dive even deeper into their own on this release, with despite what a lot of pre-release reviews claimed to be a more aggressive sound, I felt like they slowed it down a touch. This reminds me more of “Saturday Night Wrist” feel than anything else. I felt they experimented more and came out with another diamond.
9. Devil Sold His Soul - “Empire Of Light” - The atmosphere that these guys can create are just unreal, and this album tops them all! They grab you by the first song on the record and engulf you until you suffocate in their sound. This is one of those albums that must be heard from front to end. This is a masterpiece!
10. [Car-Bomb] - “w^w^w^w” - Finally a new release from these guys and it’s a good one. They are still as chaotic as ever but they have learned to tame the beast a bit. You cannot seem to be in just awe as you listen to this madness. They have that perfect name…its a car bomb going off in your brain!
Glass Cloud - “The Royal Thousand”
Danza IIII: The Alpha and The Omega
Winters - “Depths EP”
Bermuda - “The Wandering”
Empire:Andromeda - “Chapters EP”
Napolean - “What We See”
The Burial - “Lights and Perfections”
Enter Shikari - “A Flash Flood of Colour”
Vision of Disorder - “The Cursed Remain Cursed”
Hypno5e - “Acid Mist Tomorrow”
Innerty - “Tabula Rasa”
Solace - “Call & Response”
What’s been your personal highlight/ of 2012? Getting my band, A Dark Orbit, back to where it needed to be!
What was your biggest achievement of the year? Having A Dark Orbit open for Between the Buried and Me for a sold out crowd and finally finishing the debut full length “Parhelion”.
What do you wish you’d done more of? Making more $, reading, writing, and working on designs.
What do you wish you’d done less of? Procrastinating
Best Basick Records ‘thing’ of 2012? Signing Glass Cloud and upgrading the office.
Best film of 2012? Prometheus
TV show you watched the most in 2012? The Walking Dead / Hell on Wheels
What was your greatest musical discovery or rediscovery? Slayer
Best gig or festival of 2012? Centaur (Matt Talbott of HUM) / Slayer (Mayhem Festival)
Biggest WTF moment of 2012? The STL Cardinals coming back from a 7-5 two out, bottom of the 9th inning terror to win the game 9-7 and take the series 3-2!
How will you be spending Christmas? With my family in Illinois/Missouri
Finally, a band wants to get signed to Basick in 2013, what’s your advice for them? Work hard, never settle for what you just created, and get involved to promote and get your name out there! Oh yeah…sound different than the norm!